Inspiring people to succeed.

This is why the new Hair Professional Apprenticeship standards are improving the industry

The new Hair Professional Hairdressing Apprenticeship standard and Barbering  Apprenticeship standard have been designed by industry leading employers to develop the highest level hair professionals that will drive the best results for your hair salon or business. The new Apprenticeship standards include an independent End-point assessment to ensure that the highest standards of training have been met and that accomplished salon-ready professionals are delivered into your business. 

Around 14,000 people start an Apprenticeship in hair professions each year in England alone which makes it one of the top 10 most popular Apprenticeships professions. Barbershops and Salons across the UK are committing time, money and effort training the next generation of future talent.

Apprenticeships provide rewarding learning environments for Apprentices, allowing them to earn whilst they learn and gain a nationally recognised qualification. For employers, Apprenticeships develop a fresh pipeline of enthusiastic, new and creative talent into the hairdressing and barbering sector. 

The employer-led Apprenticeship standards have been designed for delivery in England as a result of Government reforms were introduced on 1st May 2017.  The new Apprenticeship standards will replace the old SASE Frameworks. The Apprenticeship frameworks started to be phased out and replaced by ‘hair professional’ and ‘beauty professional’ Trailblazer standards. You can find a full list of the new Apprenticeship standards on the .Gov website.

Trailblazer groups are the ones leading this surge in learning and standards. The trailblazer group for Hair professional standards included companies such as HABIA, Tony & Guy and The Master Barbers Shop.

Habia is the government approved standards setting body for hair, beauty, nails and spa, and creates the standards that form the basis of all qualifications.

The development of Apprenticeship standards means that those entering a hair profession will be salon-ready on completion of their Apprenticeship. The old Apprenticeship frameworks left Apprentices needing further training upon completion, which meant additional time restraints and expense for employers.

Seven main differences between the old Apprenticeship frameworks and the new Apprenticeship standards

1. Standards are created by employers for employers and Apprentices gain the knowledge, skills and behaviours specifically relevant to your industry.

2. Apprenticeship Standards offer the current skills that organisations need and want. Some SASE Frameworks are more than 14 years old. Think about how much technology and how workplaces have developed in the last decade.

3. Apprenticeship Standards can be tailored to meet the unique requirements specific workplace and the skills, knowledge and behaviours needed.

4. Standards are now more relevant for the future, aiding organisational succession planning.

5. Standards are designed to integrate with individual organisation’s in-house training.

6. Apprenticeship standards include End-point assessment (EPA) which validates skills, knowledge and behaviours gained.

7. Standardisation: uniform approach to skills, knowledge and behaviours across your business.

What will this cost you the employer?

For all Apprenticeship standards for small and medium employers (non-levy paying employers), there are Government co-funding options currently available (July 2018) which often mean (subject to availability) the employer only pays 10% of the training cost and the government pay the remaining 90%. If you are an employer with fewer than 50 employees, Government will pay the full cost of training Apprentices aged 16-18, which means there is no cost to the employer.

The full cost of both the new level 2 Hair Professional Standards for hairdressing and barbering is £9000. Typically with Government co-funding of 90%, the employer only pays £900 plus VAT. 

Full funding information for employers.

Free Habia Professional Hair Kit for each learner

As an added bonus for each hair professional Apprenticeship standard undertaken with Paragon Skills, we will provide each learner with a free HABIA professional hair kit containing a full set of valuable hairdressing an barbering tools saving the employer considerable cost.*

*Learners must be on programme for a minimum of six weeks to receive the free Habia hair kit.

If you would like to find out more about either the Level 2 Hair professional Standard or the Level 2 Barbering Hair Professional Standard, contact us today on 0800 783 2545

Source - https://www.lhaa.co.uk/blog/the-future-of-apprenticeships-a-guide